Island Pride offers all the Jamaican standbys of jerk chicken, oxtail stew, curried goat, goat soup, spicy or mild chicken/vegetable/beef paddies, fried plantains and some fish dishes all from homemade recipes. And there's mango carrot juice, ginger beer and sea moss.
Hard to find Jamaican spices - such as cinnamon leaf, Irish moss and cerasse - are on the sale rack.
York Castle Tropical Ice Cream dominates the dessert menu. York Castle is a homemade and all natural ice cream made in Silver Spring.
The store is small, with just a couple of tables. It's primarily a takeout establishment for the surrounding neighborhoods. It's in a small shopping plaza at the corner of Georgia Avenue and Norbeck Road.
The original Island Pride opened in 2002 is in Gaithersburg. The Norbeck Road location is their second restaurant.
- Hours: Mon - Sat, 10:30am - 8pm; Sat, 9:30am - 8pm; Sun, closed
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Founding Date: 2007
- Payments accepted: Cash, Debit Card, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Products: Jamaican food
- General services: Take-out
- Specialties: Jamaican food
- Parking: Free lot
- Signature dishes: Jamaican food
- Price level: $
- Reservations: Not accepted
- Executive chef: Cleve and Andrea Cain
- Number of tables: 4
- Features: Dinner, Lunch
- Atmosphere: Fun
- Dress code: Casual