The Maryland State Department of Education is the latest state agency to jump on the Twitter train, and just in time for the back-to-school season.
The @MdPublicSchools account launched Aug. 10, reminding followers of Maryland's tax-free shopping week and other notes about back-to-school preparations across the state.
"Our goal is to reach parents, teachers, and the public wherever they are, in whatever format they are most comfortable with," said William Reinhard, spokesperson for MSDE. "We began our Facebook page last year with the same thing in mind. There is a lot going on in Maryland public schools—changes in curriculum, coming changes in assessment, new ways educators will be evaluated and more. We want parents to know what is going on in our schools and school systems."
Other useful school Twitter accounts are:
- @MCPS for the Montgomery County Public School system.
- @mcpssuper for MCPS Superintendent Joshua Starr.
- @danathePIO for MCPS public information officer Dana Tofig.
- @PGCPS for Prince George's County Public School system
- Some teachers and principals also have accounts. (Rockville High School principal Debra Munk is @RHSprincipal.)
Do you follow a particular school employee or Twitter account? Which ones?