A number of city and county facilities will be closed in observance of Veterans Day on Friday.
In the city of Rockville the following facilities will be closed:
- City Hall.
- Rockville Senior Center.
- Rockville Civic Center Park offices.
- Glenview Mansion.
- The Glenview Mansion Art Gallery.
Other city facilities will be open:
- Lincoln Park Community Center (Regular hours, 9 a.m.-9:30 p.m.).
- Thomas Farm Community Center (Regular hours, 6 a.m.-9:30 p.m.).
- Twinbrook Community Center (Regular hours, 6 a.m.- 9:30 p.m.).
- Rockville Swim and Fitness Center (Regular schedule).
- F. Scott Fitzgerald Theatre Box Office will be open 2-7 p.m.
- RedGate Municipal Golf Course will operate under winter hours with the first tee time at 9 a.m.
- Croydon Creek Nature Center (Regular hours, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.).
After school and teen programs will operate on their regular schedules.
Recycling and trash will be collected on regular schedules.
Parking will be free at city-owned meters. (Remember that Town Square parking garages are no longer operated by the city and will require the usual fees to exit.)
For more information about city facilities or programs call 240-314-5000 or visit www.rockvillemd.gov.
In unincorporated parts of Rockville the following facilities will be closed:
- Montgomery County government offices.
- County libraries.
- State offices and courts.
Other county, state and regional facilities and services are open or running on modified schedules:
- County liquor stores (regular hours).
- Ride On (modified holiday schedule).
- Metrobus (special service).
- Metrorail—5 a.m. to midnight.
County schools will open as usual. It is an early dismissal day for elementary and middle schools. Students will be dismissed after lunch.
Montgomery County Public Schools administrative offices will be open.
County recycling and trash will be picked up as usual. The Shady Grove Processing Facility and Transfer Station will be open.
Parking will be free at county public garages, lots and curbside meters.
The City of Rockville will hold a Veterans Day ceremony at 11 a.m. on Friday at Veterans Park.
Michael L. Higgs, a U.S. Navy veteran, commander of the Local Disabled Veterans 12 and a Montgomery County teacher, will be the featured speaker.
Click here to see Rockville 11's profile of Higgs, who served in the Navy from 1965 to 1969, and served in Vietnam as a photographer from 1968-69.
Parking is available at or at the Sandy Spring Bank building, located between Fleet Street and Rockville Pike.