Five restaurants—in Gaithersburg, Silver Spring and Takoma Park—inspected by Montgomery County's Licensure and Regulatory Services Program had violations that caused the establishments to close for a time in August, Data Montgomery reported.
- Chipotle at 12056 Cherry Hill Road in Silver Spring closed on Aug. 7 after being cited for a lack of proper hand washing technique and not providing hot or cold running water.
- Quickfire at 566 N. Frederick Avenue in Gaithersburg closed on Aug. 13 after inspectors said they observed improper sewage disposal.
- Star Halal Meat at 1355-B Holten Lane in Takoma Park closed on Aug. 16 after being cited for selling food from an unapproved source and a lack of proper hand washing technique.
- Pho City at 12123 Darnestown Road in Gaithersburg closed on Aug. 19 after being cited for an insect infestation.
- Pho Nam Restaurant at 15924 Shady Grove Road in Gaithersburg closed Aug. 27 after being cited for not holding cold food at correct temperatures and for not labeling or storing toxic substances and pesticides correctly.
Data Montgomery reports the results of all inspections of food establishments in the county. Businesses may be cited for a number of violations, although only a select few require immediate closure and correction.
A lack of hot water is the most common cause of closures, said Ken Welch, program manager for the Office of Licensure and Regulatory Services. Most businesses are able to reopen the same day.