Invite a friend
Opening Reception: Dalya Luttwak: “Ground Cover: Roots of Liriope”
Opening Reception: Co-Sponsored by the Israeli Embassy
Dalya Luttwak: “Ground Cover: Roots of Liriope”
Thursday, November 15
7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Ground Floor Atrium (first floor)
Free and open to the public.
Dayla Luttwak inaugurates the new "InSight" series at VisArts with "Ground Cover: Roots of Liriope," a painted steel, root-like sculpture that springs from a single painted line and crawls up and across the walls of the ground floor atrium at the entrance to VisArts. The "InSight"series generates site-specific installations in non-traditional exhibition spaces. Placing contemporary art in public spaces usually thought of as pass-throughs (halls, atriums, and lobbies), VisArts encourages active looking, sociability, interaction, and encounters with art in architectural space."InSight" will host artists for one year.
About the Artist: Dalya Luttwak is an Israeli-American sculptor and metal artist whose siteresponsive steel sculptures are inspired by roots and root systems of the natural world. Her creative aim is to uncover the hidden beauty of roots, exploring the relationship between what grows above the ground and the invisible parts below; revealing what nature prefers to conceal. Her series of root sculptures have lodged on the sides of the towers at the end of the Rio del Arsenale in Venice, Italy, wound their way up and across the metal fences and tennis courts at the Kreeger Museum, emerged from the patio floor at the Katzen Arts Center, and made lasting impressions throughout the DC-Maryland-Virginia area.
More About VisArts
VisArts is located in the new Rockville Town Center. It offers a wide variety of art classes, summer camps and school break workshops for children. It also has classes for adults. There's a gallery with exhibits on display, as well as artist's studios and a gift shop. VisArts also has a photo lab and darkroom. The party room is available for private events.
Other events here
- Kenneth Martin: Sculpture and Casework Weekly on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, 12:00 pm–5:00 pm
- Roslyn Logsdon: People and Places Weekly on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, 12:00 pm–5:00 pm
- “Nancy Bullough: Distinction in Colors” Daily,
- “speed and pressure” Daily,
- “Eric Smallwood: Tethered in the Weather” Daily,
- “Nancy Bullough: Distinction in Colors” Fri, May 31, 7:00 pm–9:00 pm
- “speed and pressure” Fri, May 31, 7:00 pm–9:00 pm
- “Eric Smallwood: Tethered in the Weather” Fri, May 31, 7:00 pm–9:00 pm
- Artist Talk for “Eric Smallwood: Tethered in the Weather” Sun, Jun 2, 2:00 pm
- HearArts Fiction and Music Thu, Jun 6, 7:00 pm–9:00 pm