Invite a friend
Magnolia Laurie: “with a tug and a hold”
Magnolia Laurie pulls together a precarious existence with a tug and a hold, her solo exhibition in the Gibbs Street Gallery at VisArts. Delicate and makeshift, her paintings and constructions are tensely poised between creation and destruction. Even as she contemplates larger ideas, such as the cyclical rise and fall of civilizations, she sends out small signals of hope in her extraordinary paintings and constructions. Small fluorescent flags flap in the gathering gloom and croquet mallets project from a tangle of nostalgic household furnishings. These signals build a home in the mind and will not die out.
Exhibition on View:
December 6, 2012 – January 9, 2013
Friday, December 7 from 7–9 p.m.
Sunday, December 16 from 1–2 p.m.
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 12–9 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday: 12–5 p.m.
(Holiday Hours 12/26, 12/27, 12/28 Galleries Open 12–5 p.m.)
More About VisArts
VisArts is located in the new Rockville Town Center. It offers a wide variety of art classes, summer camps and school break workshops for children. It also has classes for adults. There's a gallery with exhibits on display, as well as artist's studios and a gift shop. VisArts also has a photo lab and darkroom. The party room is available for private events.
Other events here
- “Nancy Bullough: Distinction in Colors” Daily,
- “speed and pressure” Daily,
- “Eric Smallwood: Tethered in the Weather” Daily,
- Roslyn Logsdon: People and Places Weekly on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, 12:00 pm–5:00 pm
- Kenneth Martin: Sculpture and Casework Weekly on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, 12:00 pm–5:00 pm
- “Nancy Bullough: Distinction in Colors” Fri, May 31, 7:00 pm–9:00 pm
- “speed and pressure” Fri, May 31, 7:00 pm–9:00 pm
- “Eric Smallwood: Tethered in the Weather” Fri, May 31, 7:00 pm–9:00 pm
- Artist Talk for “Eric Smallwood: Tethered in the Weather” Sun, Jun 2, 2:00 pm
- “speed and pressure” Fri, Jun 28, 6:00 pm–9:00 pm