Invite a friend
"Crossing the Distance" Exhibition
“Crossing the Distance” brings together emerging contemporary artists from Afghanistan and the United States in a creative/cultural exchange and a traveling exhibition that crosses the boundaries of geography, time, culture, politics and language. Student artists from the Center for Contemporary Arts Afghanistan (CCAA, Kabul, Afghanistan) and the Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA, Baltimore, MD, USA) present individual and collaborative artworks in a wide range of media. The work reflects the virtual conversations surrounding everyday life and art-making in both countries. In April the exhibition will travel to the Babor Garden in the Queen’s Palace (Kabul, Afghanistan). Curated by: Rahraw Omarzad, Susan Main.
Participating artists include: Alex D’Agostino, Ali Akhlaqi, DeAndre Britton, Jalil Barati, Renato Flores, Kata Frederick, Nabi Hussaini, Angela Hong, Mariam Nabil Kamal, Mumtaz Khan, May Kim, Sara Nabil, Setareh Salehiarashloo, Bailey Sheehan, Arzoo Waseeq, Mohmad Mahdi Hassan Zada. An Opening Reception a will be held on Friday, March 8 from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. The event is free and open to the public. Admission to the galleries is always free.
Exhibition On View March 1 through March 31, 2013
Opening Reception: Friday, March 8 from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.
VisArts NEW Gallery Hours:
Wednesday: 12:00 – 4:00 p.m.
Thursday & Friday: 12:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday: 12:00 – 4:00 p.m.
Monday & Tuesday: Closed
More About VisArts
VisArts is located in the new Rockville Town Center. It offers a wide variety of art classes, summer camps and school break workshops for children. It also has classes for adults. There's a gallery with exhibits on display, as well as artist's studios and a gift shop. VisArts also has a photo lab and darkroom. The party room is available for private events.
Other events here
- “Eric Smallwood: Tethered in the Weather” Daily,
- “speed and pressure” Daily,
- “Nancy Bullough: Distinction in Colors” Daily,
- Roslyn Logsdon: People and Places Weekly on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, 12:00 pm–5:00 pm
- Kenneth Martin: Sculpture and Casework Weekly on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, 12:00 pm–5:00 pm
- “Nancy Bullough: Distinction in Colors” Fri, May 31, 7:00 pm–9:00 pm
- “speed and pressure” Fri, May 31, 7:00 pm–9:00 pm
- “Eric Smallwood: Tethered in the Weather” Fri, May 31, 7:00 pm–9:00 pm
- Artist Talk for “Eric Smallwood: Tethered in the Weather” Sun, Jun 2, 2:00 pm
- “speed and pressure” Fri, Jun 28, 6:00 pm–9:00 pm