A Budget Drop, New Cop Shop and Dancing on the Rooftop
Oh, what a feeling! Lionel Richie says 'Hello. Beware the ides of 'The Rundown.''
Is it coincidental that County Executive Isiah Leggett, who in December instructed most county departments to identify ways to cut their spending by 15 percent, chose March 15 for the rollout of his fiscal 2012 county operating budget proposal?
Congress is making deep budget cuts. The state is making deep cuts. Et tu, Ike?
Here's today's fiscally sound edition of "The Rundown":
- Leggett will unveil his budget plan at noon today at the Executive Office Building in Rockville. Patch will be there. (This Patch in particular. Look for more later today.)
- The city will hold a groundbreaking ceremony for the new city police headquarters on the site of the Old Post Office building, at 2 West Montgomery Ave. in Town Center, on March 28. The building was given to Rockville at no cost by the federal government under the condition that it be used for a homeland security purpose. The makeover will cost about $8.6 million.
- The Rockville City Council has decided not to meet on April 18, the first night of Passover.
- Mini-camp. Football players have it. Your kids will love it (as long as their name isn't Haynesworth). The City of Rockville is holding it. Rockville will offer day camps during spring break at the Lincoln Park, Thomas Farm and Twinbrook community centers. Registration is now open.
- If your middle schoolers can't wait until spring break to hang out with their friends, the city's Club Rockville debuts on March 30 with an after-school bowling trip to 300 Shady Grove. April's event is a dance on The Rooftop in Town Square. (Because standing with your back to a ledge is way cooler than standing with your back up against the bleachers of your middle school's gym.)
- Speaking of "the good ole days," Rockville Patch on Facebook has a new feature (inspired by my wife). Check out and chime in on our discussion of "Old School Rockville," our attempt at a living history of the place we call home (and at catharsis).
- We also tweet. Tweet us and we'll tweet you back. Just don't ask us to "help you compose a tweet." We can't stand that lady.